Learning to read ancient Latin with Luke Ranieri and LingQ

When researching language learning I discovered a book that supposedly teaches you Latin, entirely in Latin: Lingua Latina per se Illustrata Familia Romana. There is no other language present in the book. It starts with very short sentences and slowly introduces new vocabulary and grammatical concepts, relying on the reader's underlying understanding shared by Indo-European language speakers.

Since I started my Russian acquisition journey in the summer of 2020 I've come across many people sharing their enthusiasm for languages. One of those is Luke Ranieri (Lukeranieri.com) who runs two YouTube channels Polymathy and Scorpius Martianus where he shares his interest in Latin amongst other things. 

I've discovered that not only is the text of this book available on Lingq.com but it also has an accompanying narration by Luke (he also has a different set of recordings with a co-narrator on his YouTube Channel).

I bought a bunch of the Lingua Latina books, including those with various exercises, but for this experiment my goal is only to learn to read and understand. I won't be doing any of the exercises in the books, although I will have them to hand so that I can view the illustrations in order to aid my understanding.

My focus at the moment is still very much on Russian. Learning to read Latin is meant to be a fun little side project and perhaps an experiment to see if that ability can be converted to speaking at a later time.

I don't intend to spend more than 10 to 15 minutes a day on Latin. All I will do is simply read, aloud or quietly, the text in LingQ, learning the new words as I work through the book. 

I'll do my best to notice the grammatical patterns as I go along. If I find that I need to read up on grammar in order to understand what I'm reading then I will. But I won't be doing any writing, translation or speaking exercises. Luke's narration will help me correctly pronounce the words, either in my head or out loud.

Because this is a fairly simple experiment my updates will likely be sparse for now. In the mean time, if you want more regular insights into language learning then follow my Russian acquisition journey over at: Acquiring Russian The Natural Way

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acquiring Languages the Natural Way

30 Day Comprehensible Input Experiment: Toki Pona